A common theme among admission calls I receive at Oak Hill Academy is the general thought that “college is right around the corner and my son/daughter is not ready.” As a truly college prep boarding school (95% college acceptance), Oak Hill Academy really excels at working with students with college-bound intentions who may not have the transcript, habits or mindset in place to maximize that ambition.
Our college-prep curriculum and rigor is supported by several academic support components:
- Our small class sizes (8-10 on average) promotes strong relationships between teachers and students. This is often the key to unlocking a student’s potential – a teacher who takes the time to address their particular learning style and engages the student personally. Pretty quickly our students have the epiphany that “something is different” with their classroom experience.
- Relationships are further cemented through our 8th period tutorial program. Our teachers, most of whom live on campus themselves, are available outside of class time. Each day, office hours are built into the academic schedule allowing teachers to call students in for specific reasons that we pick up on class – a homework deficiency or a confused look for example – and to give some shoulder to shoulder coaching. Students also regularly use this time to get tutoring for an upcoming test or quiz. Questions from students do not go unanswered…or unasked.
- Regularly scheduled tutorial sessions are provided for students who are struggling or working under potential in a class.
- Our Resource Center supports learning needs across the curriculum. Issues such as time management, critical reading, note-taking, and organization are improved through this guided after school program. Students can use this to get a jump on homework or develop a study plan for the evening study time with guidance and coaching from a faculty member.
- All of this is supported by the independent study time that is mandatory in our dorms each evening. Students also use this opportunity to form study groups or use peer-mentors. Our students love to study together!
Oak Hill Academy offers a unique approach in the college-prep, boarding school world. If you are looking for a turning point in your student’s high school experience, I invite you call or email Director of Admission, Mike Rodgers for a personal discussion. With rolling admission, quality applicants are still being considered throughout the first semester.